History of the Boyce Thompson Center

Originally built between 1924 and 1930 and then vacant for nearly 40 years, Simone Development Companies transformed the historic Boyce Thompson Institute building into the thriving Boyce Thompson Center, an innovative mixed-use property featuring 85,000 square feet of medical offices, restaurants and service retail. Simone Development preserved the classic architectural style of the main building while also honoring the building’s legacy as a plant research center with vintage photos of the institute on permanent display.

Simone Development also commissioned internationally-known Dutch street artist Eelco van den Berg to design and paint a dynamic mural for the southeast lower wall of the main building. The graffiti-inspired public art design – which covers a 53 by 15-foot wall area – was a collaborative effort of the artist, the Boyce Thompson Institute and Simone’s Boyce Thompson Center design team. The bold and colorful design features a combination of images depicting plant life, insects, birds and scientific research.

Two additional buildings were newly constructed on the six-acre property: one for St. John’s Riverside Hospital and another for Westmed Medical Group.

As healthcare becomes more consumer-driven, developments like the Boyce Thompson Center are attractive to healthcare providers looking to be located in a multi-use environment that offers patients and employees access to retail stores, restaurants and free parking.